When using your health coverage for the first time, remember to bring your insurance card, photo ID, and copay (if you have one) with you to the provider’s office. Here are some more tips:
- Show up early for the appointment – there will be several forms you will need to fill out.
- You will be asked to share the health history of your family and your previous medical records. A conversation with your family before your appointment and a few notes will ensure you don’t overlook any important details.
- Tell your provider about any medications you are currently taking and the dose.
- Ask questions and raise concerns you have about your health – write them down so you don’t forget to ask.
- Before you end your first visit, your provider should be able to tell you how your health is and what you can do to stay healthy.
- If you need to take medicine, your provider should be able to tell you when and how much to take, if there are any side effects, and if a generic version is available.
- If you have an illness or chronic condition, your provider can tell you about your treatment options.
More information and videos about how to use your health coverage can be found at healthcare.gov.